Thursday, December 4, 2014

New Arrival!

new puppy rescue
I found my doggy soul mate! Leia, formerly Celine, is a 16 pound perfect Whippet/Lab mix (they think). After stalking a different dog online for a few days, I decided to go get to know her a little better as I saw her in the shelter the week before. The Australian Shepherd mix ended up being way too high energy for my apartment, pulling me about the shelter and jumping to the height of my chest. At first it was a major let down and I intended on leaving the shelter and waiting a little while longer before looking again. That's when I saw Leia. She had been there since before the last time I had visited, adding up to nearly a month in the shelter. Being a black dog, I knew she had a disadvantage but I really thought someone would scoop up the 5 month old adorable pup before I even had a chance to return. I took her out of her cage as the time ticked by in the shelter that was due to close within the next ten minutes. I didn't want to make any rash decisions but there she was. The seemingly perfect puppy that sits, shakes, and licks everyone to death. What happened next was a moment that only happy dog owners know... she gave me the look. The adorable puppy-eyed, tail wagging, eye locking gaze that gives you that feeling inside like you know you're just meant to be together. I grabbed her information card and reassured her that she'd be coming home with me as I placed her back in her cage. As I rushed to the front, I couldn't help but wonder what the heck I was thinking but I had prepared for this day and you just can't predict when it will actually happen. I like to think it's kind of like having a child in that way. No one is ever really "ready" but eventually you know it's just time. I waited with anticipation and anxiousness as she came wagging through the double doors after her microchip insertion. That was it. She was mine. Even as I got her in the car I wondered what I was doing and if it was the right move but she was perfect. She sat right down in the passenger's seat... and proceeded to vomit on the way home. I actually found myself laughing as I comforted her knowing we were both feeling a little uneasy about what our futures held together. More to come about my little Princess Leia! Feel free to share your stories or worries about your dog's homecoming!!

No comments:

Post a Comment