Separation anxiety seems to be a common problem among rescue dogs due to the length of shelter time. It can become a more permanent problem if the issue is not dealt with right away. So, how can you correct these problems? First of all, all dogs are different. Leia for instance, cannot be left alone in the apartment if she's not in her cage. She's a chewer and she gets scared and howls like a crying baby when she's left alone. The first time I tried it I thought something horrible had happened to her and went rushing back inside to find a puppy with excitement beyond belief as if I had been gone for a year. Some people may think it's cruel to leave a dog in a cage, but it is a wonderful solution if you follow the right guidelines. A cage was the first purchase I made after I decided to take Leia home as many puppies should be crate trained before they're trusted alone in the house. Even Victoria Stilwell of "It's Me or the Dog" has recommended crate training. In order to do it right, the cage must be big enough for your dog to be able to stretch out and stand up. Also, you should never leave a full grown dog alone for more than eight hours at a time. If it's a puppy, then two hour increments are recommended. Some dogs may still have a problem being in a cage and it's all about figuring out what works best for them. Barkley had to be in a cage with a sheet over it or he'd whine constantly until he was covered. I'll admit I felt bad about this method until he started disappearing to his cage for naps. Stores, like Petsmart, even sell customized covers for crates. I also started him out with some music that soothed him in the beginning. I did the same for Leia. However, each dog is different and I can't stress that enough. Leia does not like to be covered in her cage and managed to pull the sheet through the gaps and destroy it the first time I tried this. Due to her age, teething, and potty training, I have not attempted to leave her out for the day. If I do decide to try this, I'll start with small increments of time and a confined area to ensure nothing too important is destroyed. A pertinent key concept is to prevent yourself from running to your dog every time it cries. Much like a child, this would cause the pup to think that you will come rescue it every time it whines. For more information, the Humane Society has some tips listed here. Obviously, I don't agree with some of their tips in regards to what won't help because they worked for Barkley and Leia, but "to each his own."

No comments:
Post a Comment