Tuesday, January 20, 2015
Potty Problems
Leia will not stop peeing in her crate! I love her dearly but this little issue isn't so little anymore. For starters, I don't have a washer/dryer hookup in my apartment so every time something needs to be washed, it requires a trip to the laundromat and too many quarters to be worth it. The little princess also requires a bath every time she decides to lie down in it which is resulting in too many baths. Now, I believe I have tried EVERYTHING. I have to say I've never had a problem with crate training a dog so this is a little new to me. First of all, we started with a new crate so there's no smell of pee or another dog or anything like that. Obviously, I take her out in the morning and she does her business so she goes in the crate emptied out (supposedly). The first few times she peed in her crate, I kind of expected it because of the month she was in the shelter, being left with no choice but to sit in her own pee. Luckily, she was potty trained for the most part when I brought her home. She's had a total of 4 accidents (outside of her crate) since. But I just can't solve this crate potty problem. I've tried putting her bed in the crate because dogs supposedly don't like to urinate where they lie. Well, she peed all over the bed and sat in it even though it's about half the size of her crate. After that, I tried vinegar. I read (here) that this is a pee deterrent for dogs... not Leia! Next, I tried putting a pee pad in the side of her crate that wasn't occupied by her bed. Do you have any idea how many pieces that thing became by the time I got home?! Pee pad fluff everywhere! However, she managed to pee on some pieces of it. So fun to clean -_- I also figured that maybe she was just in her cage too long without relief. While that could still be true, she manages to hold it for 13 hours when she doesn't feel like getting out of bed. Now, I've resorted to buying waterproof bedding so I can at least spray it and run it through the shower to avoid taking bags of soiled blankets to the laundromat. I will give her some credit though. She peed on the pee pads twice. She's started moving them rather than tearing them to shreds and she seems to be peeing more toward the end of her bedding rather than right where she sits. I've also been getting her to the park and taking her on runs more which seems to have her more relaxed once she goes in her crate. Has anyone else had this problem?! Does anyone have solutions that might have worked for their dog?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment